Winnetoon High School,
Winnetoon's first school opened on January 13, 1902 with
24 pupils enrolled. The first teacher was Catherine Ryan.
Due to increased enrolment, in 1914 a new building was finished. The
teachers were Supt. Gordon Saunders, Ruth and Esther Kile, and Eva
McGrath. Ernest Klopher was the first janitor. Other janitors were Lambert
Jones and Art Schroeder. At this time Winnetoon was a 12 grade school.
Some of the teachers were Mable Christensen, Martha Weaver, Mildred
Walker, Margaret Walker, Helen Copeland, Eva Glimsdal, Gena Saunders,
Prof. Prohaska and Rose Baver. Mr. And Mrs. E. D. Humann were
superintendent and principal from 1931 - 1934.
High School held good attendance through the Depression years, but there
was a high tax levy and the school did not offer a normal training course.
Anyone wanting to
was forced to finish at another school. In 1942, school district No. 117
voted to discontinue the Winnetoon High School. Following its closing
Winnetoon was very fortunate to employ a number of excellent grade
teacher. Among them were Della Morlan, Eldora Hamilton, Lavon Neuhaus,
Helen Saunders, Mrs. Robert Hamel, Irma Gabler, Carmen Frickenstein, Joyce
Sherman, Jean Anderson, Mrs. Archie Van Kirk, and Mrs, Merle Thompson.
In 1963 Winnetoon was consolidated with the Creighton Public School. Classes
to the 6th grade continued until the fall of 1967. At that time, all
grades were bused to Creighton.