Winnetoon Historical Society

  Page Two
  Page Three

  Days Gone By
  Good Old Days
  More Good Old Days
  Winnetoon A
  Winnetoon Folks

Hosted by:
Knox Co., NEGenWeb Project

Winnetoon, Nebraska

Because of his farming interests, Jones needed a partner for the town project. A young Norwegian, Peter Glimsdal, joined him in forming the Jones and Glimsdal Co. Their first building was the shovel house for buying grain. The grain was handled with scoop shovels only.

This same year, Wirtz built a lumber yard, D. Kushman a carpenter shop and Ernest  Scheer the blacksmith shop. Jones and Glimsdal next built the big corner store with a dance hall above. In this store, the first Winnetoon Post office was located. It was established Sept. 23, 1891. John Culberton was the first postmaster.

Winnetoon was incorporated as a town in 1900. It started to build first a Methodist Church. Following that was the Updike Elevator with Howard Crandall as its manager.  Henry Krameier built the saloon.

By now a number of new homes had been built.  Main street was filling with new business places.  Seth Jones and his brother, Jerome, built the bank. Ed Brooks was the first cashier. Charles Kienow built the implement store, William Saunders the harness and shoe shop besides running the hotel. In 1904, Ralph Clare started the first RFD mail route. The jail was built about this time and is still standing and is on the National Register of Historic Places. Charles Bonge, who owned the cement block factory, was the first city marshal. 

From the west and northwest Winnetoon drew much of its trade. Also, the Norwegian settlements to the north and northeast made Winnetoon their trade town. They had their cemetery here, which they maintained until 1920, when they had the citizens of Winnetoon take it over.

By 1905, farmers were retiring and building new homes in Winnetoon. The town continued to grow and change. Peter Glimsdal sold out to Jones and Charles Emick, but continued to operate his own grocery for many years. Evan and Brown built the big lumber yard. Henry Berger started the dray line. Charles VanCamp not only was in the elevator and hog business, but also built a fine hotel.  Charles Pierce operated the drug store.


Previous | Next

Sources of information are all or some of the listings below:

R.J. Jones - now deceased son of the town’s organizer, Seth Jones
Ruby Jones Pinkerton - now deceased daughter of Seth Jones
Howard Crandall -now deceased city clerk from 1901 - 1910
E.C. Clare - now deceased retired city mayor
Personal memories of former citizens collected by the Winnetoon Historical Society
Gayle Neuhaus - researcher, Winnetoon Historical Society
Peggy Ebel - Winnetoon Historical Society