Town & Schools
Creighton Hist. Ctr.
Winnetoon Hist. Soc.
The History of Knox County
The first settlement of white men was June 7,
1856. This settlement was called L'eau Qui Court Company. When L'eau
Qui Court Company failed, Niobrara Township Company was organized.
This became the town of Niobrara. The 1856 -1857 Territorial
Legislature of Nebraska created L'eau Qui Court County. Niobrara was
the county seat. The 1873 State Legislature passed and act, renaming
the county to Knox. In 1902 the county seat was moved to the new
town of Center
The 1920 Knox County Atlas list these town and their population:
Bazile Mills, 77
Verdigris or Verdigri (Verdigre), 403
An Historical Sketch of Knox County, Nebraska, 1876, By: Solomon
History of Knox County, Nebraska